Defence careers provide you with a diverse range of skills and expertise. but when you transition out of Defence, you may wish to gain additional qualifications or take a new career path entirely.
Our Ex-Defence Scholarships allow you to develop and extend existing skills or obtain new skills to secure meaningful civilian employment.
"IN DEFENCE WE DO HAVE A VERY CLEAR SENSE OF PURPOSE AND WHEN TRANSITIONING INTO CIVILIAN LIFE THAT GOES AWAY VERY QUICKLY. BUT I FOUND THAT THROUGH STUDY I'VE BEEN ABLE TO FIND THAT PURPOSE AGAIN, THAT DRIVE TO BETTER MYSELF.” - ADAM, AIR FORCE VETERAN AND SCHOLARSHIPS RECIPIENT.
There are 20 scholarships available for studies commencing or being undertaken in 2021, each valued at up to $4,000 a year for up to three years.
Scholarship funding is managed within strict guidelines.
To be eligible, you must be:
- an ex-serving Defence member
- ineligible for other Defence education and training assistance
- not in regular employment
- enrolled or planning to enrol in an undergraduate, tertiary or vocational training course
- able to demonstrate hardship or vulnerability since transitioning from the ADF.
Strict eligibility criteria apply, including ongoing eligibility for successful recipients. These criteria are outlined in the Ex-Defence Education & Training Scholarship Guidelines.
Applications open on 18 August 2020 and will remain open until filled, or until the 2022 Scholarship round opens.
Scholarships commence in 2021.
Complete the online form below to submit your application.
The application process allows Australian Defence Force (ADF) members to apply for scholarships under the RSL Queensland Ex-Defence Scholarship Program. This program supports education and training courses to aid in ex-Defence members’ employability.
Submitting your application:
Complete the online form below to submit your application. You will receive an email when your application has been successfully submitted.
All applications are reviewed to assess initial eligibility before being put forward for consideration. If your application proceeds to the next stage, you will be asked to provide further documents to support your submission. When all necessary documents have been received, your application will be assessed.
All applications submitted to RSL Queensland will be assessed for eligibility and to confirm applications meet the intent of the program.
You will be notified of the outcome of your application at the conclusion of the assessment.
Applicants are responsible for ensuring that they have read the RSL Queensland Ex-Defence Scholarship Guidelines and that their application meets the intent and eligibility criteria of the program.
Successful recipients must advise RSL Queensland (email@example.com) of any subsequent changes in circumstances relating to:a) change to residential location
b) change in employment status
c) change to approved study (including fee alterations)
Applicants should be aware that providing false or misleading information may lead to applications being declined, or the cancellation of a Scholarship.
If you need assistance completing the application form, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 134 RSL.
- This application form must be completed in one session
- Click on the question heading to complete each field
- Fields marked with an asterisk* are mandatory
- Where you are asked to provide a date using the calendar selection tool, type in the year and use the dropdown list to select the month. Select the first of the month if you are unsure of a specific date.
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive an email please contact email@example.com